Thursday, May 03, 2007

2:00am

Dear Alex woke up in the middle of the night tonight, Something that she hasn't done in a long time, and as I was awake and working (the work thing again) I sort of tried to ignore it, but at the same time, her apparent dissatisfaction with the world matched my own, so I kind of felt her angst - and felt compelled to respond. It's a rare thing to be able to so surely comfort someone as a crying child in the middle of the night - I took her out of the crib, and held her and changed her diaper and did nothing more than rock for a while, repeating "It's all okay, I love you and mommy loves you and the world is yours" - Ten minutes later Dear Alex is asleep on my chest, and I have to conciously tear myself away to go back to work. I would that I could have done a repeat of the early months with her and simply fallen asleep to wake in the morning with the wonder that she hadn't fallen out of my arms to the floor. It was a moment of remembering the sleepless care and love that we all could use every once in a while. I needed that hug tonight, and without even trying Dear Alex came through.

No comments: